Friday, January 18, 2008

Potty Training Woes

This week has been a hard week in the potty training area. Rachel used to be very good about just going whenever I sat her on the potty. She'd wake up from her nap, we'd go potty, and then we would play.

Not this week though. This week she'd wake up and then I'd try to make her use the potty but she'd just scream and arch her back. I'd get her to sit on the potty and we'd sit and sit and sit and sit and sit. Finally I'd cave and put a diaper back on her and then, not even a minute after that, while I'm walking out of the bathroom, she'd go.

It was horribly frustrating.

Anyway, the other morning we were having a little potty fight like this one. She sat on the potty for a good twenty minutes before I finally decided that enough was enough. I took her off the potty, because she has a tendency to tip over and land on her head if she decides to reach for something, and set her on the floor without a diaper on. I figured she would be okay because she'd only be sitting there for a few minutes.

I went and got dressed and checked on her and she was fine. I stood right by her doing my hair, she was fine.

All of a sudden she started giggling...and splashing!

I wheeled around. She had peed on the floor and was splashing away to her heart's content.

I quickly scooped her up and, holding her at arm's length, handed her off to Andrew, who was in the shower.

Mopping up pee is not my favorite thing to do in the world but it had to be done. And I'm happy to report that, although we only caught one pee today, Rachel stopped fighting me every time I tried to put her on the potty. Perhaps we're over that stage?

No comments: